Tuesday, March 29, 2011

They Call Me Their Crazy Mom

I avoid mentioning the family in the blogging as much as possible. It's not that I'm ashamed of them, or that they aren't a huge important part of my life, its just that--this is a blog about writing, and I feel its a little more professional to keep the personal life out of it. That, and it makes me a little more anonymous. That is... unless your reading this from the link I put up on facebook, then you probably know exactly what I'm talking about and can give me some crap about it the next time you see me. Whatever works for ya!

So, what did that long winded rambling have to do with the post? Well, today, my topic is completely relevant, especially the part dealing with my poor children.

Always I'm going on and on about making your writing as believable as possible. There are many ways to do this: pulling from personal experience, getting a degree, or some of my favorites, acting and speaking lines for characters.

Well, I started a new book today, and all the things that entails. You know--nailing down the synopsis (because it works better when you start with it, rather than finish), the major plot lines, a quick outline, and figuring out those pesky characters who will, no doubt, annoy me at the worst possible moments until I can finish writing this book. So, what do I do after I get those things done? I start talking to myself.

Sadly, I do not need to involve the children here. This is so normal for them, that when they hear me muttering odd things that don't make sense, they do the polite thing and they leave the room so "Mom can talk to her 'friends.'"

 What happens when they don't leave the room, though? Well, things get odd. I don't like to ask them for help, mainly because they are proud of what I'm trying to do, and well... let's face it, the material I write is not intended, nor should be read by their age group. I know these kids, and how they've been raised, and I know they know what they see and what they hear, is generally either false, or not something they should go around repeating as far as tv, radio, and books are concerned. But, as I was saying...

I have this tendency to, when I'm really stuck on a description, to make faces. I know what I'm feeling when I experience an emotion, and how it pulls the muscles around in my face and body in order to convey that emotion. Sometimes, though, I have to ask. "Do I look angry to you?" Usually met with a laugh, that is the hardest for me to do, as they seem to think its more ridiculous than angry looking.

Occasionally, it is embarrasing for them. Other children (their friends) are constantly at our house (still not sure if that's good or bad) and I'm not exactly the "cool" mom when they see me talking to myself or making odd faces at the kids. Mostly, its just passed off as something weird their crazy mom is doing, but I sometimes think, maybe I should stay away from the writitng when it isn't just them around.

So, please make me feel a little better here. What crazy things do you enlist your friends and family into doing in the name of good descriptions? How crazy are you when it comes to wording something just right?

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on keeping the family separate from your professional life. I think it took me three years of blogging before I even mentioned a child! I'm an artist, so I put my family through other things. Like spreading painted papers all over the patio, insisting they can't even go out there for fear they'll step on something. Or all over the dining room table -- which means we all eat on our laps until I clean it up.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love getting them.