Wednesday, May 12, 2010

An exercise in emotion

When I'm feeling some writer's block or worry that I'm not writing as well as I could be, one of the things I like to do is work on showing emotion in my writing. Its one of the biggest things I struggle with in my work. I love being able to read through books and find those spots that make me laugh or cry. I can go through so many of them and they are all so different, but what makes them evoke those emotions.

I had started to do exercises to figure out how someone would look when they are feeling certain emotions. What facial expressions would they make? What hand guestures would they use? It wasn't enough, but it certainly helps. When I start to feel a little stumped or something seems to be repeating too often, I pop open my notebook and look at my list. Works like a charm. But I'm still not solid on those emotional, gut-wrenching parts to the story. So, I've decided I will just start to write a small piece, focusing on different emotions and different situations. I'll try to do this every Wednesday. It would be great to get some feedback on these. Things like: Does the emotion I'm trying to portray show? How does the piece make you feel? I think it would even be awesome if any of my awesome followers would like to do the same! Just let me know.

Okay, so here is the piece for today:

She slowly scanned the room, taking in every detail. With one deep breath she walked out, letting her fingers trail against the rough concrete wall. She focused on everything, trying to absorb it for when she would need it later. It would be a long time before she would allow herself to remember this place.



When the light was behind her and there was nothing more to see, she stopped and sighed. Her empty stomach seemed to pull her back, toward the building. A pit had formed leaving her weak and hollow, but she couldn’t stop. She had made her decision and packed her things. There was nothing more to do, but to finish what she started. To leave her world behind.


Air hitched in her throat. She took one more step and her heart shattered. Tears filled her eyes to the brim and overflowed hot and wet down her cheeks. She gritted her teeth against the sobs that were threatening to overtake her body. Dropping down to the cold, damp ground she curled in on herself. Salty droplets clung to her eyelashes. She pinched her eyes shut and tried to focus her thoughts away from their current path. *She’s gone. And it's all my fault.*


She shook her head, knocking her temples against both knees. With one finally stuttering breath, she rolled onto her knees and pushed herself off the grass. Picking up her bag, she forced her numb legs to move.

 
Okay, so that was all I managed to write today. If you would like to do one also, just send me the link to the post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I love getting them.